Things I Have Learned as a School Librarian




My new job is fantastic I love all the books and figuring out how to organize the library. In my short time I have been a school librarian I have learned a few things. I would like to share my list with you.
  • Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid are so popular that I always have a copy needing repair.
  • Hardcover picture books, despite being small, hurt like hell when they fall on your foot.
  • There are always books that need to be checked in. ( I should have thighs of steel by the end of the year from all the squating)
  • Kids no matter how many times you tell them otherwise will always put books back on the shelf instead of in the book drop.
  • The existence, and popularity of Mo Willems, Pete the Cat, and Peter H. Reynolds.
  • We have too many books and not enough shelves.
  • So many books I want to read, but not enough time.
  • The Pinkalicious series is never on the shelf.
  • The books I loved as a child are no longer popular. (Baby Sitters Club, Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew)
  • We have more fantasy books than any other genre. 
  • Leveling books is a nightmare. Why can't there be one leveling system used by everyone?
  • Google Tools is my friend. 
  • I love doing read alouds!
  • Kindergartners are a handful and are very particular about the books they want. "I want a princess book!" "I want a book on Chameleons!" 
  • We don't have enough books to satisfy everyone.
Life in a library is a lot different than life in a classroom. I am loving every minute of it. I am looking forward to learning more and more as the year goes by.

Comments