Ms. Bixby's Last Day Spoiler Review




OMG! This is my first 5 star read of 2020. It was such a beautiful and moving book about three boys going on an adventure to say goodbye to their teacher on her last day in town. I recommend you read this book in honor of your favorite teacher who you'll never forget. I will warn you that their are some trigger warnings and you might want to have a tissue ready as you read it. On to my thoughts...

A couple of months before the school year ends Ms. Bixby's class is told that Ms. Bixby has cancer and will not be ending the year with them. The students are understandably upset but plan on having a big farewell party on her last Friday at school. Sadly, she takes a turn for the worst and needs to go in early to begin her treatment. The story follows three boys, Brand, Topher, and Steve, who skip school that Friday to have their farewell party with Ms. Bixby at the hospital. Ms. Bixby has effected the boys in different ways. For Topher she recognized and appreciated his artistic talents and told him about a folder she keeps of all his drawings because they are so well done. For Steve she gives him the self confidence to stand up to his overbearing family. And for Brand whose father suffered a devastating accident leaving him unable to walk Ms. Bixby gives him the strength to keep going.
 
The boys have a huge plan based off of what Ms. Bixby said about how she would spend her last day on Earth. Things don't go exactly according to plan; the cake gets smashed the guy the ask to buy the wine for them runs of with their last 25 dollars and Topher sprains his ankle. But just when they think all is lost fate steps in and they end up running into the man who stole their money on the bus they were taking to go home. They finally confront the man but he spent their money on a bottle of whiskey. The boys get a decide to accept the whiskey as an alternative and finally get to say their goodbyes to Ms. Bixby.

Sadly, Ms. Bixby dies a few months later but she will never be forgotten by these three boys whose life she touched so deeply. 

I was finishing it up at work and was sitting at my desk bawling. Luckily no students were there to witness my tears but a few colleagues asked me what was wrong. I told them it was my book and they were very understanding. One of them even asked for the title so she can pick it up to read as well. Even know as I write this review tears spring to my I eyes as a I remember Ms. Bixby and the the impact she had on Steve, Topher and Brand.

Comments