Library Skills: Research Unit




It's been a while since I made an education post so I thought I'd go back to my roots and present to you a Unit plan I wrote for my Master's Course. We were assigned to write a Unit Plan that takes into account the Design thinking model of Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype,  and Test. I even had to make an infographic to show how they are all connected which I'm sharing with you.

 I created this plan for Librarians to help supplement a Homeroom teacher's own research unit. I used a template for Understanding by Design because that is what our school uses in our curriculum design process. Because this is to support a homeroom teacher and isn't meant as a complete all-encompassing unit some pieces were left out. In particular a topic for the research project as well as summative assessment information.

Sadly I'll probably never use this unit in my own work because that isn't how we conduct lessons in the Library at my school but I really thought it sounded good so I'm sharing it with all of you. I linked to some lessons from Common Sense media as well as some research documents I made myself. 

BTW it's been a while since I had to plan a unit so I'm not quite sure it will actually work in a classroom. As I said I won't be able to use it myself so if anyone actually uses the plan please let me know how it went. And if you see something that you know won't work also let me know. Without Feedback how will I learn?

Research Unit UbD Plan

Comments