5 Books I Read Aloud in 2020


One of my favorite parts about working in a school library is choosing books to read aloud to the younger years. I want to share 5 books I read this semester to kindergarten and grade one.


The first book I read this year was If You Ever Want to Bring a Circus to the Library DON'T. It's about a girl who decides since the poster in the library says you can do anything in the Library she decides to bring a circus. I read this book at the beginning of the year because I thought it would be a great way to start a discussion about proper behavior in the Library. It set off a fun tone but also reminded students about how to respect the Library.

Another great book I read in the first half of the school year was One Day.
The End.
 It's about a little girl that is sharing small moments from her life. The problem is she only has the first line and the last line of the story but if you look at the pictures she leaves out some of the best parts. This is a great way to start a writing unit. It reminds students that there is more to every story and they need to make sure to keep the best parts in. 


One thing I've learned as an educator is that kindergarten and first grade love to talk about the books they read but sometimes they share a little too much. This year I thought that I should address the concept of spoilers. To that end, I read Let Me Finish! It's about a boy trying to read a new book but everyone tries to tell him how it ends so he is forced to run away from everyone so he can find a quiet place to read his book. It's a great intro to let kids know not to overshare what they read.

The beginning of the school year also means the beginning of Autumn/Fall. I
like to read a book about Autumn every year and this year was no exception. I read Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn and it was great. It teaches kids about how the season changes from Summer to Autumn and the artwork is gorgeous.


I want to finish this list with my Halloween choice for this year. The Scariest Book Ever. It's about a little ghost who is scared of going outside and has the reader do it for him and tell him what happened. It's a cute book for Halloween that isn't too scary for the younger kids. 





So there you have it 5 books I read to students this year.



Comments