Words Their Way

This year I am using Words Their Way to teach spelling to my students. Every Monday we go over the spelling sort of the week. I write out the words on sentence strips and cut them out. Then we sit in a circle on the carpet and we read the words. Once we a re done reading my students have to find the pattern. The last three sorts were about adding -ing so the kids picked up on it quickly this week.

We keep going back to the spelling pattern all week. I have the kids look for them in their homework, on the charts in the classroom, and we also did adding -ing to our Sentence Patterning Chart (SPC). We even have a special colored highlighter that represents our spelling on the charts, purple. 

At the end of the week the students need to paste the words in their notebook so it is like a mini dictionary for them. This week I had them do a fold-able with the original words on the front and they open it to see the -ing form.




Comments