Five for Friday 11-27-15


It is Friday and as such time  for Doodle Bugs Teaching Five for Friday link up party. It was a short week so not much happened but it was still a great week.
In Math we were learning about surveys and pie charts so we made one of our own. Even though there are eighteen students and we only surveyed twelve of them I tried to make it a whole class project. First the five teams had to come up with one question each. Then the whole class voted on the question. We ended up with the question: What is your favorite movie? Next we voted on the options then finally on the colors. Then I had the kids pull numbers out of a hat and those who got 1 to 12 got to answer the survey. The rest got to shade in the pie chart. After we were done they signed the chart and we put it outside for all to see. The kids loved it.

We are working on perfect tenses in ELA this unit so I came up with a few ways to show future, present and past perfect. For future we have not done it yet, We will have done it by the end of the semester. I will let you know what we do. For present I had a bunch of questions that I asked the students and they had to answer with had or has, depending on the question. Here is an example:
For past perfect I used our Narrative Input Chart. We reviewed our story with little speech bubbles with parts of the story written in past perfect. The students had to place the sentences next to the correct part of the story.



 We were working on making connections between the text and our self while reading Three Cups of Tea. I created a large version of the table I handed out to the kids and had them write one thing they connected to themselves. Multiple students connected the word ibex to the name Iber, one of my students' nickname.
We started a new Art Orbit rotation this week and I had cooking. Though the kids did not do much cooking, I did that part. What did they do? They dunked Animal Crackers and apples into melted chocolate and sprinkles. Then I sent them home all sugared up BWWAAAHHHAHAHA! 



Lastly our favorite fuzzball. I refused to put him in a hamster ball this week (the below picture is old).
On the plus side I already have someone willing to take him over the summer, so that's nice.


That is it for my Five for Friday this week see you all next week, and I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Comments