Five for Friday 12-11-15


Normally I am super excited about it being Friday and last day of the week.  But this week there was a water main break at the school and they had to shut down our water so the administration shut down the school. So I have an unexpected four day weekend. Nevertheless I can still come up with Five for Friday.



On Monday we went on a field trip to Rock-it Science to learn about lights and potential and kinetic energy. We had two classes, the first one was about reflection and refraction. we saw how laser pointers are affected by mirrors. To see the light stream better they used a fog machine. It was really cool and all the kids were more interested in having a lightsaber fight.
Our second class was about building a catapult. It was a lot of fun and the kids learned about potential and kinetic energy using rubber bands. Also they got to throw plastic grapes around. 




Every week I write out our new spelling pattern on sentence strips then cut them out. It is great for sorting our words in patterns, but when the week is done I have all these words and no place to put them. I want the kids to be able to reference the words at all times, so I want to put up a word reference area in my class. Problem is I have limited space so I cannot just tape lists of words on the wall. I came up with the idea of putting them on a binder rings and to hang them next to the library. I wanted some nice hooks so I went shopping at my favorite store, Daiso Japan, yesterday and bought some new toys. 



Then I played with them and got something even better. Once I get back to school I will put them up and take a picture to post to my blog.



Due to the unexpected four day weekend I could not send Evil Shadow home with my scheduled student, so I brought him home. Fed him a carrot I think he likes it.


Unfortunately, for number four I forgot to take a picture so you are just going to have to imagine it. For math we are learning about lines of symmetry. So I had the students create their own flags with at least one line of symmetry. I got one with a pizza on it, and another one with a pokeball in the middle. I will probably post a picture of it on my blog next week.

Lastly, I started a new link up yesterday. I am calling it Thankful Thursday. In it I share three things I am grateful for and I am asking other teachers to share three things they are grateful for. If you want to see the link up click on the picture below.


Comments

  1. Yay for your three day weekend! Hopefully everything is okay at your school. It looks like your field trip was a lot of fun! Previously I have used hooks on the wall to hang sets of words on rings to save space too.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your field trip looks like it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment