Five for Friday 12-18-15


It is Friday again and this Friday is better then most because it is the last Friday before winter vacation. I am so excited! But, before vacation begins it is time to share my Five for Friday over at Doodle Bugs Teaching Spot
We had Career Day on Tuesday and some of our presenters were really cool. First we had an archaeologist who talked about how archaeologists excavated objects. Then she gave them a little cupcake filled with some kind of plaster like stuff that the kids had to dig into for a little present.

Another cool presenter was the photographer. Her activity was to create a cardboard camera. What do you think? I hope he got by good side. 





My kids took over the lesson for the day. Here they are reading our Co-operative Strip Paragraph. They went through the editing process on their own while I observed and laughed my head off when they came up with the title "Tr. Deena's Slaves' Paragraph About Heat." The sad thing is I am pretty sure I am their slave but okay I'll go with it.


I volunteer with the schools private Girl Scout troop and this week we made composite buckets. Disgusting worms but my mom is happy with her present. I am hoping that it will help our cherry tree grow better.


The California Education and the Environment Imitative send free teaching materials to teachers who complete their training webinars. I completed one last week and this week I got my new material for our Native American Unit.. They sent one Teacher's Manual and for each student a thin text with a workbook and a book about California's Geography. I am really looking forward to checking it out over the holiday and to see how much I can use for our unit. 
It also came with a small dictionary for each student word cards for the vocabulary and two posters showing California's Geography and the other showing Native American regions.



As a GLAD teacher the walls in my classroom are filled with charts. Currently in my classroom I have my Graphic Organizer Chart (GOC), my Pictorial Input Chart (PIC), my Narrative Input Chart (NIC), my Inquiry Chart, my Story Map, my Sentence Patterning Chart (SPC), my Cognitive Content Dictionary (CCD), my Mind Map, my Process Grid, two poems and finally a pocket chart for my Co-operative Strip Paragraph. With all that I think it is fairly obvious I have limited space in my classroom for anything else. Unfortunately that includes a word wall with all our old spelling words. So last week I showed you my hooks, this week I am going to show you the finished product.

Comments

  1. Having an archaeologist as a presenter must have been so cool...we had a treasure hunter once and it was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment